Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring Has Sprung

It is that wonderful time of year when the weather is warming up and we start spending a lot of time outside. We spent our weekend cleaning the garage and doing some yard work. Working in the yard got me to thinking that I should try my hand at gardening again. Since we moved into our house 6 years ago I have had a garden all but 1 year. Having said this I have to tell you that I have only had a successful garden 3 of those 5 years. This year I think that I will try a new method of gardening called Square Foot Gardening. In this method you build above ground beds separated in to 1 ft.x1 ft. sections, you then plant the specified number of plants to each square foot section. For example you would be able to plant 9 bush bean plants or 1 bell pepper plant to a square.
Now that I have decided to plant a garden I need to build the planters and decide what vegetables I want to grow. Since the idea behind planting a garden is to grow my own organic produce to save on groceries and give my family food that I personally know was grown without harmful herbicides and pesticides, I should think about what vegetables I know my family will eat and then go from there.

No comments: